Finalist of the Broomhill Sculpture Prize

Claudia Borgna

Saturday 4 June 2011

'A DECADE' SHOW AT HAROLD MARTIN BOTANIC GARDENS IN LEICESTER

From Quenington I rushed to Leicester where I set up this work. The show will open on the 25th June and is curated by John Sydney Carter. This year 66 artists are setting up their sculptures in these glorious gardens.
Here are few pics of my bit:

The sculpture is made with the plastic bags reclaimed from the piece: 'White noise'. The metal wires are the same one I had used for 'Oasis'
The pipes I had to buy new. In fact despite all my efforts to keep the once I had used last year for 'Everything must go' they have been all dispose of together with my plastic bags. This happened just few weeks before my arrival. While overseas I had been in constant contact with the organizers of the exhibition to keep track and make sure that the bags would be kept until my arrival, nevertheless the contractors decided to throw them all away, thousands of bags, only because they seemed to look a bit tatty. Interestingly enough that would have never happened if my sculpture would have been made out of wood, stone or metal.
People perceived my work as disposable and not worth saving from the rubbish dump.
I will miss all my bags very much, I had made so many plans for them already, like for example re use them at my residency in Aberystwyth and for my next solo show at the Art Museum of Los Gatos in California.
But I managed to save a little bunch. While searching for a piece of wood I spotted some of my last year bags in the dump, were they were forgotten and abandoned so luckily I was able to rescue few of my babies!






No comments:

Post a Comment