Finalist of the Broomhill Sculpture Prize

Claudia Borgna

Saturday 4 August 2012

I HEART 3D quick update

A quick update on the last group show: I HEART 3D at Chistie's Hangar Gallery in  London. The show will be free and open to the public until 20th August.

Although I did not win the 3000 pound prize, the exhibition had a very good turn out with 300 people showing up at the opening night: an elegant champagne and canapés reception enjoyed by an eclectic crowd.
My work was well received and once more I was pleased to observe how people can immediately relate to my installations breaking the ice and the boundaries between art and everyday life and therefore making communication and exchange more accessible.
Here is a link to a write up on my work by Phoebe Pryor for Art Galleries Magazine      http://www.facebook.com/galleriesartlist

More links to write ups: http://onestoparts.com/review-i-heart-3d-rbs



In view of my Public Practice MFA course, which I am hoping to be able to start in Los Angeles next year, depending on financial funding and on a scholarship, I was really hoping, or better, I could have really used that monetary prize. Altogether I am very pleased to be part of this event and feel happy for Katie Surridge to be the winner of this competition. Katie's work is just amazing and it's definitely a well deserved achievement on her part. 
I will keep applying to other opportunities and awards hoping to be able to eventually cover all the costs of my MFA programme.

For me this experience at Christie's was also very interesting under other aspects. I don't sell artwork so I feel I have entered a space otherwise most probably restricted to artworks like mine. A little achievement in this world of 'objectification and commodification', I say!

I really would like to thank Shital Pattani, Lisa Howard, George Marsh, Colin Bradley and all the friendly staff at Christie's for their amazing help and support.

Here are some pics of the work which title is:
'IT ALWAYS RAINS ON WET'

Plastic on water, water on plastic, in and out, from the outside to the inside,
Suffocating the thick air, like a storm passing through but here to stay 
And stain the trail of my stream.

An attempt to bring the outdoor world inside: rain, air and recycled plastic bags, captured and imprisoned into a poetic provocation.






A light and airy landscape that is in fact a subtle suffocation.


A Landscape that reflects the sign of our time where the environmental crisis is laced to the economical one.









a web of wire was attached to mobile hooks 
WHAT IS DOWN HAS TO GO UP!









Water inside the bags, water contained restrained and controlled but eventually freed by the laws of nature, evaporating to ether, leaving the bags empty again.





No comments:

Post a Comment